Now that I'm training to run the Philadelphia Half Marathon in November, I've been trying to find ways to increase my protein intake. Unfortunately, when I was laid off from my job earlier this month, I also had to find more economical ways to do this. Meat and poultry, even when purchased in bulk or value-size packages, can run pretty expensive in New York, so rather than filling my freezer with mass quantities of chicken and ground beef, I turned to the canned foods section of the grocery store and stocked up on canned beans.
What ingredients do you put into your quesadillas?
Black Bean Quesadillas - Makes 2-3
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon Amazing Taste Fajita Seasoning
- 1/4 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth*
- Juice of a half of a lime
- Large handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- Shredded cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno and cook until the onions are tender.
- Add the black beans, fajita seasoning, and broth. Bring to a low boil.
- Add the lime juice and fresh cilantro. Continue to cook for 30 seconds. Pull the beans off the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Place one tortilla in skillet or on grill pan. Cover with desired amount of shredded cheese. Spread desired amount of black bean filling on top of the cheese. Cover the bean mixture with more cheese and then a second tortilla. Be careful not to fill too much, as flipping will be difficult.
- Cook until tortilla is golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side until the other tortilla is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Remove to a cutting board and allow to cool for 15-20 second before cutting into wedges and serving.
* If you want to make this dish vegetarian-friendly, you can substitute vegetable broth or water for the chicken broth.
If you liked this post, consider subscribing to Taste As You Go’s RSS feed or subscribing via email so you don’t miss a thing!