|Bunch of Asparagus|
Despite having had endured below-40° temperatures on my morning runs over the past few weeks, it is, technically, spring. And, to me, one of the many joys of spring is the abundance of fresh asparagus in the grocery stores and farmers' markets. While I, generally, like to toss asparagus spears with olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice before roasting the spears in the oven, I wanted to see if there was something else I could do with the vegetable. I knew it was the perfect time to try a ridiculously simple recipe from EatingWell Magazine that I had recently starred in Google Reader.
|Asparagus with Honey and Curry Butter|
When I say "ridiculously simple," I mean it. This delicious side dish takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and requires less than 10 ingredients to make, most of which are probably already in your cupboard. How can you go wrong when you toss fresh vegetables in flavored butter that has a hint of savory from the curry and a hint of sweet from the honey? Better yet, this asparagus dish was the perfect accompaniment to my grilled chicken (made with some Amazing Taste seasoning) and baked potato!
|Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Breast, Asparagus with Honey and Curry Butter, and Baked Potato|
It turns out I'm not the only one who has flavored/compound butter on my mind. Try out my adaptation of EatingWell Magazine's recipe, then check out what my friend Jessie over at The Hungry Mouse has done with flavored butter!
Asparagus with Honey and Curry ButterAdapted from EatingWell | Printable Recipe
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Combine softened butter, curry powder, lemon juice, honey, and salt in a small bowl. Taste a bit of the butter and add more salt if necessary. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus and cook, stirring, until just tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the honey and curry butter over the cooking asparagus and toss to coat. Serve warm.
If you liked this post, consider subscribing to Taste As You Go’s RSS feed or signing up for email updates so you don’t miss a thing!