Truth be told... The first time I tried Greek yogurt, I was not a fan. The thick consistency and its tangy tartness were too much for me to handle and I couldn't bring myself to eat an entire container. It took me over a year of trying a little Greek yogurt here and a little Greek yogurt there for me to see beyond the consistency and to embrace the tartness. And now, I prefer Greek yogurt to regular yogurt!
When I discovered that some sweetened or flavored yogurts contained nearly 30 grams of sugar in 6 ounces, I stopped buying sweetened yogurt altogether and started buying plain nonfat yogurt. Unfortunately, I still wanted a little bit of sweetness to balance out the tang. Thus, my obsession with parfaits was born! I just layer Greek yogurt with fresh fruit, and I'm good to go! Greek yogurt is higher in protein than regular yogurt, and protein is really important for me now that I just ended my third week of marathon training.
You could easily add a layer of granola or, if you love them as much as my boyfriend Stephen does, Grape Nuts for texture and crunch. The possibilities are limitless and you can tailor this type of recipe to fit your personal preferences.
Greek Yogurt Berry Parfait
Serves: 1 | Printable Recipe
- 3 large strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 pint blackberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- In a small bowl, gently toss the sliced strawberries and blackberries with the sugar. Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Place half the Greek yogurt in the bottom of a tall glass. Layer on half of the berries. Add another layer of Greek yogurt and top with the remaining berries.
- Serve immediately or keep chilled until ready to serve.
Recipe by Michelle Rittler, Taste As You Go
If you liked this post, consider subscribing to Taste As You Go’s RSS feed or subscribing via email so you don’t miss a thing!